How is the Governing Board made up?
There are a number of Governor Types - parent governors who are elected by the parents, Local Authority governors who are appointed by Bedford Borough Council, Co-opted governors are elected by the Governing Board and Staff governors who are elected by the staff. You can also be an Associate Member attending governing board meetings.
King's Oak Primary School has 2 committees:
1. Finance, Premises and Personnel Committee
2. Teaching & Learning Committee
What are the responsibilities of each committee?
All committees contribute to the school's Strategic Development Plan and monitor progress on the implementation of this regularly. They also contribute to the preparation of the School Profile and help the school to review its performance so that the Self Evaluation Form, as required by OFSTED is kept up to date. They also consider and recommend for adoption any new or revised policies pertaining to the particular Committee. The Executive Headteacher is a member of all committees. Committee meetings take place in the evenings and each committee usually meets once per term. Other key responsibilities are listed below.
Finance, Premises and Personnel Committee
- Monitor and review school's financial position and approve the annual budget
- Make recommendations re: level of financial delegation to Headteacher
- Ensure school operates within Council's Financial Regulations
- Review Charging Policy and Lettings Policy
- Inspect buildings and grounds and monitor maintenance and repair
- Assist Governing Board and Headteacher to discharge responsibilities under the Health & Safety Work Act 1974
- Monitor Health and Safety arrangements
- Ensure that the school works within the adopted Personnel Policies
- Review the staffing structure of the school
- Establish procedures for the selection and recruitment of staff
- Adopt and review Performance Management procedures and salaries
Curriculum and Standards Committee
- Adopt and review Attributes and Behaviour Policy
- Ensure Governors responsibilites re: safeguarding children are fulfilled
- Approve school visits, adopt and review School Visits Policy
- Promote and support healthy school environment
- Monitor policy of Racial Equality and ensure statutory responsibilites are fulfilled
- Review and revise School Prospectus, Home School Diary and Home School agreements
- Advise the Governing Board on the school's curriculum statement and their statutory obligations regarding the National Curriculum
- Approve and review Policies
- Monitor and review School Improvement using statistical information available